Rhoeby is a ROS-enabled, Navigation-capable hexapod robot based on the Robotis Bioloid kit. It supports SLAM, Navigation and Obstacle Avoidance using low-cost, light-weight 2D Scanning technology available from Rhoeby Dynamics (see website: http://www.rhoeby.com).
The ROS driver is implemented as a single node which performs all publishing and subscribing functions. This helps to reduce the processing load on lesser-capable systems.
Author: John Jordan, Rhoeby Dynamics
- Data from Rhoeby 2D Scanner
- Odometry from hexapod base
- Data from the phone
- Velocity commands to hexapod
- Robotis Bioloid "Spider" chassis (with custom legs)
- Robotis Cm9.04 MCU board
- Nexus 4 phone provides IMU (and tele-prescence camera)
- Rhoeby Dynamics R2D Infra-Red LiDAR Scanner
- Bluetooth link to robot for command and status back
- Remote laptop running ROS Indigo
- 3-DOF Inverse Kinematic leg control
- Holonomic-capable gait
- Odometric feedback
- ROS node for robot control
The hexapod_ros package has been tested on: ROS Hydro, ROS Indigo releases.
ROS driver code on github:
CM9.04 binary on github:
ROS Package installation:
- install robot_pose_ekf
- copy hexapod_ros into catkin workspace
- do 'catkin_make'
Download SensoDuino app to phone (Nexus 4, or other Android device), see:
1. Start roscore:
2. Connect to phone (after starting SensoDuino):
- sdptool add --channel=22 SP rfcomm listen /dev/rfcomm1 22
3. Run the hexapod_ros node:
- rosrun hexapod_ros hexapod_ros
4. Start gmapping (for example):
- roslaunch src/hexapod_ros/launch/gmapping.launch model:=src/hexapod_ros/urdf/hexapod_01.urdf